Employing veterinarians

All people working as veterinarians in New Zealand must, by law, be registered with us and have a practising certificate (APC).

You can check before employing a veterinarian whether they are registered with us and hold a current APC. To do this, you can check the Register of Veterinarians. Or, if you are unsure, you can contact us.

Recruiting from Overseas

If you are recruiting veterinarians from overseas, check our registration page for information about the registration criteria. If you have questions about whether a veterinarian's qualifications are recognised or registerable then please contact us.

We have some guidance on the Accredited Employer Work Visa , which most veterinarians will now be entering the country on.