Changes to the NAIT law
Changes to the National Animal Identification and Tracing Act have been passed by Parliament. The changes include:
- tightening the rules for handling untagged animals
- improving the use of data
- aligning penalties with related Acts to reflect the seriousness of non-compliance
- updating the performance framework for the organisation running NAIT
- allowing cost recovery for accreditation and audit.
Changes also include new transportation requirements that will make a significant difference in the effectiveness of tracing animal movements.
More information about the NAIT Act is available on the MPI website.